Other points to consider
- There are strong ties between Christchurch and Lyttelton, which was settled before Christchurch and is the major provincial port.
- Many City residents enjoy Banks Peninsula features, such as parks, roads and beaches, especially for recreation and leisure. However, they use these and other assests without direct financial contribution.
- More than half the Lyttelton workforce is employed in Christchurch.
- Most people who work in Lyttelton live in Christchurch, rather than Lyttelton.
- Christchurch is mostly urban while Banks Peninsula District is predominantly rural.
- Christchurch City Council is the second largest local authority in New Zealand (309,000 people in the City) while Banks Peninsula is one of the smaller ones (7600 people).