These documents are PDFs. You will require the free Adobe Reader to view them.
To help ease pressure on rates, the Council plans to bring in a revised Development Contributions Policy from 1 July 2006, which early financial projections indicate will net more than $160 million to help pay for city growth over the 10 years of the Long-Term Council Community Plan. This proposed policy makes up this Volume 2 of the LTCCP.
This document states how the Council plans to collect Development Contributions and what method will be used to assess them. You can make submission for or against this policy from Tuesday, 28 March, to Friday, 5 May 2006.
As housing and business growth puts increasing pressure on the city’s existing infrastructure such as roading, wastewater pipes, open space reserves and recreation facilities, this policy aims to shift the cost of that growth to developers without discouraging development.
In the past, ratepayers paid about 60% of the cost of providing new infrastructure to pay for this sort of growth, while developers paid the remaining 40%. The Development Contributions Policy aims to make those responsible for growth pay a fairer contribution towards servicing growth. Developers will cover the cost of new capital expenditure, specifically providing for growth.
Development contribution assessments depend on anticipating likely City growth over a given time period. The estimate may be needed across the city for “citywide” contributions or for particular locations or “catchments”.
Growth in the City has been projected for three components: new residential households, additional non-residential floor area, and additional impervious surfaces. Household growth, as assessed by Statistics New Zealand, is used as the basis for development contribution assessments.
This projection, made specifically for Christchurch City, identifies occupied permanent private residential units and allows for future fertility, mortality, net migration and household patterns of the population. Medium projections have been chosen as the basis for development contribution assessments. Non-residential growth, as estimated by the Council, is based on historic rates of development and relationships to future growth in population and employment. Changes in impervious surfaces in Christchurch City are based on information provided by Landcare Research derived from satellite imagery. Impervious surface projections were generated using projected household and non-residential growth to identify likely areas of future change.
More detailed information on the growth model used and the calculation methodology for development contribution charges is available from the Christchurch City Council Civic Offices, Tuam street.
Projects identified as 'capital projects' are required to provide for the needs of a growing city through capital expenditure that is projected over the next 10 years through the Long-Term Council Community Plan. The projects are listed by activity. Some projects identified are historic, but have capacity to provide for future growth.
These maps show the main areas of demand (catchments) for development contributions. Catchments are determined based on their key characteristics, including geography and service delivery. There are two types of contribution catchment:
Citywide - one catchment for the whole city for the following activities - water supply and conservation, wastewater treatment and transport.
Local - the city divided into catchments for the following activities: reserves, wastewater collection, surface water management and leisure facilities
Individual capital works projects are allocated to either local or citywide areas of demand, depending on the nature of the project and the community it is required to serve.
The Locality to Catchment Index [PDF 13KB] provides a link from the Catchment Maps to the Network Infrastructure charges in Appendix 1 of the Development Contributions Policy
Capital Works Programme for Greenspace, Transport and City Streets by ward area.
These documents provide further detail relating to the Banks Peninsula Ward Capital Projects. These costing have NOT been adjusted for inflation.