This page is not a current Christchurch City Council document. Please read our disclaimer.
Our Environment: Issue 18 Autumn 1999

Our Environment: Christchurch City Council's Environmental Newsletter

World Water Day

World Water Day is on Monday 22 March.

Initiated by a United Nations General Assembly resolution, the first World Water Day was observed on 22 March 1993.

Aims of this annual event include addressing problems relating to drinking water and increasing awareness of the importance of conservation, preservation and protection of water resources and drinking water supply.

How you can conserve water

Christchurch has one of the highest quality natural water supplies of any city in the world. Our water is purified naturally in underground aquifers. It is not chemically purified.

In Christchurch about 25 per cent of water supplied by the City is used outside the home, much of it in our gardens and parks . The remaining 75 per cent is used inside dwellings where large appliances such as dishwashers and washing machines account for significant amounts of water used. About one fifth of total household water consumption is used for toilet flushing.

Worsening drought conditions this summer have highlighted the need for us to conserve our water.

Some of the ways you can use less water are:

  • Check pipes and taps for leaks.
  • Take short showers rather than big baths.
  • Turn the tap off while brushing your teeth.
  • Use smaller flushes in toilets (you can buy flush savers from the City Council).
  • Don't let the tap run while peeling vegetables.
  • Wait until you have a full load before using your automatic dishwasher or washing machine.
  • Water your garden in the evening or early morning to reduce evaporation.
  • Water your garden by hand and only when necessary.
  • Cover exposed soil around plants with a mulch.
  • Use "non thirsty" plants such as the rowan tree, silk tree, rockrose, lavender and rosemary.

Jennie Hamilton

Our Environment Index
This page is not a current Christchurch City Council document. Please read our disclaimer.
© Christchurch City Council, Christchurch, New Zealand | Contact the Council