Severe weather causing road closures and slips around Christchurch area
31 July 2008
A number of roads around the Christchurch City Council’s area have been affected by the severe storm affecting the country.
Roads around the Port Hills, Lyttelton inner harbour and around Banks Peninsula are particularly badly affected.
There has been severe flooding in the Akaroa Inner harbour with Alymers Valley Rd and Takamatua Bay Rd closed due to slips, and Beach Road partially closed due to slips. One unit in Akaroa was flooded overnight, forcing the residents to leave their home.
In Christchurch city there is some surface flooding on roads. Affected areas include
- Avonside Drive, near Robson Avenue
- Northwood roundabout,
- William Pickering Technology Park
- Pound Rd
- Orions Rd
- Hussey Rd
- Dallington Road, opposite St Paul ’s School
- Locksley Ave, part of one land flooded
- A number of streets around Heathcote River in the Beckenham/Opawa/Woolston area.
Anyone with concerns about debris blocking drains should contact the Christchurch City Council’s call centre on 941 8999, and contractors will address it as soon as they can.
A number of other roads around the Christchurch area have been affected by slips, but are still open.
The affected roads are
- Dyers Pass Road from Cashmere Road through to Governors Bay .
- Gebbies Pass Road – Teddington to Motukarara
- Christchurch Summit Road from Gebbies Pass through to Evans Pass
- Evans Pass / Sumner Road from Sumner to Lyttelton
- Lyttelton Inner Harbour from Lyttelton through to Diamond Harbour/Purau
- also a number of minor hill and rural roads around Lyttelton
- Purau through to Port Levy Road
- Akaroa Summit Road from Hilltop to Pigeon Bay
- Pigeon Bay Road from Duvauchelle to Pigeon Bay
- Akaroa Summit Road from Pigeon Bay through to Okains Bay
- Okains Bay Road from Duvauchelle to Okains Bay
- Western Valley Road from Little River to Port Levy
- Akaroa Summit Road from Okains Bay through to Long bay Road/ Cabstand
- Le Bons Bay Road
- Long Bay Road from Takamatua to Goughs Road
- minor hill and rural roads in the Akaroa Inner Harbour and in Northern and Eastern Bay Roads
- Kinloch Road / Bossu Road , Little River.
- Southern Bays Roads from Magnet Bay to Lands End Road
- minor rural roads from Little River to Gebbies Pass
The ongoing heavy rain could cause further flooding or slips and motorists are asked to take extreme care on the roads, and to avoid unnecessary travel.
Top of Page ~ Media Release index