Term One gentle exercise, Pilates and Tai Chi courses open for enrolments
13 January 2005
The Christchurch City Council is now taking enrolments for its Term One gentle exercise, Pilates and simplified Tai Chi classes.
A city of healthy and active people is one of the City Council’s key Community Outcomes. Supporting SPARC (Sport and Recreation New Zealand) guidelines recommending adults do at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day, council brings gentle exercise, Pilates and Tai Chi classes to you in your community.
Gentle exercise ($3 per class) is a fun, social exercise class set to music for older adults or people with limited mobility. Trained physical activity tutors who take classes say mobility, balance, coordination and circulation all improve as a result.
Tai Chi classes ($50 for a 10-week course) help improve balance, coordination and circulation and are particularly beneficial for adults with diabetes and arthritis.
Pilates ($50 for a 10-week course) involves progressive exercises – deep stretching and controlled resistance movements using the abdominal muscles.
Regardless of age or fitness level, everyone can enjoy and benefit from this form of exercise. Benefits include improved posture and strengthened lower back, buttocks and stomach muscles.
Term One Gentle Exercise classes start at the following places and dates:
● Halswell Baptist Church, 6 Balcairn St, Monday 31 January, 1.30pm-2.30pm
● Burnside Elim Church, 193 Grahams Rd, Tuesday 1 February, 1.30pm-2.30pm
● St Marks Anglican Church, 100 Opawa Rd, Wednesday 2 February, 1.30pm-2.30pm
Term One Tai Chi classes start at the following places and dates:
● Bishopdale Community Centre, 129 Farrington St, Thursday 3 February, 2pm-3pm
● Fendalton Community Centre, 170 Clyde Rd, Monday 31 January, 5.30pm-6.30pm
Term One introductory Pilates classes start at the following places and dates:
● Fendalton Community Hall, Tuesday 1 February, 6pm – 7pm
● Mt Pleasant Community Centre, Monday 31 January, 7.15pm – 8.15pm
● Riccarton Town Hall, Thursday 3 February, 5.45pm – 6.45pm
● Shirley Community Centre, Thursday 3 February, 5.45pm – 6.45pm
● St Albans Community Resource Centre, Friday 4 February, 12.45pm –1.45pm
● Templeton Community Centre, Tuesday 1 February, 5.45pm-6.45pm
To enrol or for information call Delia Walker, Active Christchurch Coordinator, 941 8083
Top of Page ~ Media Release index