Feedback invited on Council plan for Addington Cemetery
11 August 2005
The graves of a number of notable Christchurch residents including suffragist Kate Sheppard, artist John Gibb and politician Tommy Taylor are among those featured in a draft conservation plan for Addington Cemetery that is now available for public comment.
Christchurch City Council is inviting feedback on the plan to help it restore and maintain this important heritage-listed cemetery for the future. Among those expected to be most interested in it are descendants of people buried in the cemetery, nearby residents, history enthusiasts and regular visitors.
Funding for the plan and some initial restoration work has come from the Spreydon/Heathcote Community Board. John Rhind Funeral Directors has also pledged to sponsor part of the restoration of the cemetery to mark the company’s 125th anniversary and in recognition of the fact that some Rhind family members are buried there.
Addington Cemetery is the first of Christchurch’s cemeteries to have a draft conservation plan. Public feedback will be invited on one for Linwood Cemetery in October, this year and both revised plans are intended to be presented to the Council for approval in December.
The Addington Cemetery Conservation Plan can be viewed on the website www.ccc.govt.nz/haveyoursay or at South Library, Central Library, Spreydon Library or Civic Offices ground floor reception. Copies may also be obtained on short loan from South and Central Libraries.
Submissions may made until Friday 23 September via the website or sent to Addington Cemetery Consultation, C/- Ann Liggett, Beckenham Service Centre, P.O.Box 12 033, Christchurch.
A tour of the cemetery will be held on Saturday 3 September, 1-2.30pm for people to ask questions about the conservation plan and learn more about the cemetery’s history. There will also be displays including the plan and background information at South Library and Our City from 15-26 August. Christchurch City Council Parks & Waterways area advocate Ann Liggett will be on hand to answer questions at South Library between 1pm and 4pm on 17 and 24 August.
Christchurch City Council is seeking the contact details of families of those buried at the cemetery and registrations of interest from anyone wanting to be part of a Friends of Addington Cemetery group or help fund the cemetery’s restoration.
For further information or to register your interest in the cemetery call Council Parks & Waterways area advocate Ann Liggett on 941 5111 or email Ann on email@example.com
Addington Cemetery, which covers five acres on Selwyn St, was established by the St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in 1858 and was in effect the city’s first public cemetery, allowing for the burial of virtually anyone regardless of their religious beliefs. By 1888 the cemetery was declared to be full but burials continued until 1980, when it was officially closed.
Early settler Jane Deans was a prime mover in the establishment of the cemetery and several members of the Deans family of Riccarton are buried there. While a number of notable people are buried at Addington Cemetery, many graves simply record the lives of ordinary people during Christchurch’s early days.
Top of Page ~ Media Release index