|25 February 2000|
Sports Stars To Walk Kids To School
Politicians and sports stars will escort primary children to Christchurch schools on March 1.
The Christchurch City Council will hold its second Walk A Child To School Day on March 1 with the help of Canterbury Crusaders players, Canterbury Rams, and women cricketers, Cathy Campbell and Katrina Keenan.
The Mayor, Garry Moore, will walk with a group and the Green Party co-leader, Rod Donald, will walk with another.
Last year 40 schools took part and 43 have registered to take part this year. All children will receive certificates for walking.
Paul Cottam, the City Councils safe routes to school co-ordinator, says it is a day when parents will be encouraged to walk their children to school. "This is to promote walking as a safe, healthy way of getting to school. We want to emphasise the safety, health and environmental benefits of walking," he says.
Walking to school also achieves a noted safety-in-numbers benefit for the school journey, and helps the estimated 30 per cent of primary school children who are considered to be too physically inactive.
Children do not have to walk all the way to school on 1 March. Schools can arrange drop-off points near the schools and they will walk from there.
The day will also mark:
Both schemes are supported by the City Council, the School Health Service, the Crown Public Health, the Police Youth Education Service, and the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority.
All details can be found on a special City Council web site: www.ccc.govt.nz/saferoutes
Further information: Paul Cottam, City Councils safe routes to school co-ordinator: 941 8299.
NB: Photographic opportunities are:
- Rod Donald at Gilberthorpe School, leaving the corner of Wycola Avenue and Manurere Street at 8.20am with a Walking School Bus.
- Mayor Garry Moore at Our Lady Fatima School, leaving the corner of Westminster Street and Kensington Avenue at 8.20am with four families.
- Two Canterbury Crusaders at Thorrington School, leaving Thorrington Reserve at 8.30am.
- NZ Womens cricketers, Cathy Campbell and Katrina Keenan, at Paparoa Street School, leaving the corner of Rutland Street and Knowles Street at 8.15am.
- Two Canterbury Crusaders at Addington School, leaving Church Square at 8am.
- Two Canterbury Rams basketballers at Kendall School, leaving Waimairi cemetery on Waimairi Road at 8.30am.